Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Trudy's, the Best of the Best?

One of the hardest things about being a vegetarian is having to pick and choose from a select variety of options on a restaurant menu. I grew up with parents who love good food, good friends and who don't mind splurging on a family dinner. I, therefore, view mealtimes as a time to get together with friends and share tasty food. Whenever a friend invites me out to eat, I rarely ever refuse. What's tricky about this? Sometimes the places my friends choose to eat at aren't vegetarian friendly.

Trudy's Central Location, Photo Courtesy of Trudy's
Luckily, it is pretty common for restaurants in Austin to have vegetarian friendly dishes. And, menu items can easily be altered to be vegetarian. So, I decided to research a favorite Austin restaurant to see just how easy it is to eat vegetarian. I went to Urbanspoon Austin and found that they named Trudy's as it's number one 'best' restaurants near The University of Texas at Austin. Perfect.

I've had the pleasure of dining at Trudy's Tex -Mex and I thought it was delicious. Better yet, I had no trouble finding items on the menu that were vegetarian. Trudy's offers an online version of their menu, which makes it convenient to check before you dine to ensure they serve a vegetarian dish to your liking.


One of my personal favorite dishes that Trudy's offers is the Vegetable Plate. You get to choose from FOUR sides, yes, four. (Be careful, though! The Borracho Beans and Refried Borracho Beans are NOT vegetarian!). If you're used to ordering veggie plates, then you know you usually only get to choose from a measly three. Having the option of ordering a Black Bean Burger is yet another perk. Restaurants rarely ever offer a veggie or black bean buger!

Stuffed Avacado, may be ordered without chicken. Photo Courtesy of Trudy's
In fact, for almost every category on their menu, ranging from tacos to enchiladas, a vegetarian option is offered. Most restaurants have chicken and beef enchiladas and I find myself paying for the meat and only getting the cheese. But, Trudy's offers and actual veggie enchilada, giving me what I pay for. And, that's how restaurants should be.

The atmosphere, the menu options and the food at Trudy's are unique to the restaurant and worth giving a try.  They also offer breakfast, specials and party sized meals. Also, did I mention that you get chips and salsa while you wait for your delicious meal? Now that, is the icing on the cake..or, the salsa on the chip.

Fellow vegetarians, I do consider Trudy's to be the best of the best. I challenge you to give Trudy's Tex-Mex a try. I bet you won't be disappointed.



2 comments:

  1. Yumm, I can't believe I've never been to Trudy's! How very un-Austin and un-food-loverish of me, haha! I love that you're writing about food too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      I used Pure Vegan B12 spray.There is also a cheaper version that does not advertise vegan but says so on the label called Pure Advantage B12. The ingredients are identical.

      Vegetarian

      Delete