Monday, March 28, 2011

Drag Food: Rasta Pasta

'The Drag', Guadalupe Street, is one of the most popular streets to students of The University of Texas at Austin. Every student that lives in West Campus crosses this street in order to get to class. If you want to pick up some burnt orange swag, you'll stop by The University Co-Op. And, if you're looking for a quick grocery shopping trip, you'll shop at CVS. But most importantly, The Drag is a hot spot for eating.

Store Front, Photo Courtesy of Rasta Pasta's website
Most of the restaurants on The Drag have stayed the same over the years, so eating around the area can become...a drag. So, I was excited when I heard about the opening of a new restaurant, Rasta Pasta. And, Rasta Pasta is anything but a drag, especially for vegetarians.

Rasta Pasta follows a Rastafarian theme throughout the restaurant and their menu. The vibrant red, yellow and green colors create a bright atmosphere that is complemented with reggae tunes bumping through the speakers. The atmosphere is very relaxed. When you walk in, the waiters greet you at the door while you seat yourself.

The menu offers quite a few options that are all pasta dishes, of course, and are moderately priced. Every dish is made fresh to order, which makes it easy for vegetarians to adjust the dishes to exclude meat and substitute more vegetables. Many of the dishes can also be made vegan, all you have to do is ask your waiter!

Montego Bay, Photo Courtesy of Rasta Pasta's website
I have tried the Chicken Montego Bay, without the chicken. And, I have to say that it was delicious. I crave it all the time. Better yet, the alfredo sauce is made light, not super thick and creamy like most restaurants. I ordered the lunch portion of the Montego Bay to-go and it filled me up pretty well. I can't imagine being able to finish the dinner portion. But, during my next visit, I decided to order the dinner portion of the Dreadlock Ravioli anyways (minus the meat!).

It came with a simple house salad with a spicy house dressing. Never have I tasted a dressing so unique and so delicious. It had a lime taste with a hint of garlic and a blend of spices that I can't quite pinpoint. My main dish came with freshly toasted garlic bread and one of the largest portions of pasta I have ever seen. The marinara sauce had spices in it that I had never tasted in a traditional sauce. I didn't want to stop eating it, but my stomach made me. To my surprise, the owner of Rasta Pasta, Jamie, came out and introduced himself to me and told me a little bit about the restaurant's history. He made sure I enjoyed my meal and asked me what I liked most about it, truly interested in my feedback. After our conversation, I boxed up my leftovers and enjoyed it for lunch the next day. It tasted exactly the same as the evening before...amazingly delicious.

Rasta Pasta on The Drag is the only location the restaurant has in all of Texas and basically the entire country. Only three more locations are in the U.S. and they are all based in Colorado. You'll definitely get your money's worth with the quality and quantity of their food. Rasta Pasta is a truly unique restaurant to Austin and is definitely worth trying.

4 comments:

  1. AHH, I've been wanting to try that place! Ha, I wanted to write about that for my blog but wanted to stick with the trailer theme so i'm so glad you wrote about it!!! I can not wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I was so excited that a new food option was opening up on the drag and especially not another huge chain. Also, there are some coupons in those little college coupon handouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try this place! Your recommendations sound great.

    ReplyDelete